13th December 2023 Content supplied by: Synonym
Synonym Introduces Life Cycle Assessments (LCAs) in its Scaler Platform
Synonym, the data-driven infrastructure development and management platform for the bioeconomy, has announced the integration of Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) calculations into its next-gen techno-economic calculator, Scaler. Launched in the summer of 2023, Scaler has quickly become the bioeconomy’s go-to techno-economic analysis calculator for fermentation. With as few as ten technical and commercial metrics from a user, the tool provides a comprehensive and free customized techno-economic analysis for their bioprocess within seconds.
The new LCA feature within Scaler provides further insights, helping users strengthen their approach to sustainability by calculating the cradle-to-gate carbon intensity of the bio-products they produce. The Scaler LCA calculations include crucial figures such as Carbon Emissions per KG of product produced and a detailed breakdown of the source of these emissions, including feedstock, electricity, natural gas, and more.
Key features of the new LCA metrics in Scaler include:
- Cradle-to-Gate Carbon Intensity Calculation: The LCA feature assesses the carbon intensity of products from the initial production stages to the point of leaving the manufacturing facility, offering insights into the environmental impact of the entire process.
- Emission Source Breakdown: Users gain a comprehensive understanding of the sources of emissions, with a detailed breakdown that includes feedstock, electricity, natural gas, and other contributing factors. This empowers businesses to target specific areas for improvement.
- Improvement Strategies: The LCA feature goes beyond analysis by providing users with practical improvement strategies to lower the carbon intensity of their products. Strategies include using lower carbon feedstocks, adopting renewable energy, and utilizing biogas, among others.
- Economic and Mass Attribution: Scaler's LCA feature includes economic and mass attribution of a user's process to their fermentation product and waste biomass.
- Comprehensive Sustainability Roadmap: LCAs are essential to creating a comprehensive sustainability roadmap. By leveraging the insights provided by the LCA feature in Scaler, businesses can make informed decisions to minimize their environmental footprint and contribute to a more sustainable future.
Brentan Alexander, Chief Investment Officer at Synonym, commented: "We are excited to introduce these new, robust LCA capabilities to Scaler. The addition of LCA calculations not only enhances the value of Scaler but also equips our users with the tools they need to make environmentally conscious business decisions and drive positive change in their industries. We are committed to advancing the bioeconomy and its inherent sustainability, and believe this new LCA feature is a big step forward in helping all stakeholders – from fermentation startups to Fortune 500 corporations – understand the environmental impact of their products and supply chains.”
Date Published: 13th December 2023
Source article link: View
Divaks Unveiled Innovative Texturized Insect
IFE Manufacturing Launch New Ingredients